[cseb national] CSEB AGM Sets Sail!

  • From: Shawn Martin <smartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cseb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:28:52 -0300

 From nhelferty@xxxxxxxxxx  Thu Sep  9 23:24:25 2004
From: "Natalie Helferty" <nhelferty@xxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: CSEB AGM Sets Sail!

Ahoy all CSEB members,

Welcome to the Great Lakes basin! Although we don't have a view of Lake
Ontario, we'll keep it in mind at this conference as we discuss 'Linking
Landscapes: Planning for Restoration of our Urban and Rural
Environments'.
Sitting (in traffic) in the 2nd fastest growing city in North America
on a
huge freshwater lake, headwater protection and 'green infrastructure'
have
been at the top of people's minds. But how to get it to work for us and
other species far into the future.that's the question we will address at
this conference.

So, after a few waves and tacks, we are now smooth sailing again. The
CSEB
AGM has been reformatted somewhat to a one day symposium with guest
speakers
and afternoon AGM for our members. We are doing this symposium style
event
in concert with Environmental Defence Canada (Greenbelt Alliance) and
Conservation Council of Ontario (Smartgrowth Network), so be prepared
for a
lively discussion among academia, policy makers, planners, students,
grassroots groups and residents as we chart a new course for the Golden
Horseshoe, the Great Lakes region, Ontario.and beyond.

The best news is that it is now FREE to all members! Please RSVP if you
will
be attending for lunch and/or dinner so we can book numbers ahead of
time.
Thanks all.

We are still working out the kinks in the agenda, but the conference is
now
one day only, Wednesday, Sept 29, 2004 from 8:30am to 5pm, with dinner
optional (pay your own way.)

See below and check out the CSEB Ontario website at
http://www.exworld.org/cseb/conference2004.html to register and view
local
accommodation and maps from the airport. On campus stays may be an
option
(pending availability). We will post any updates on the website and via
email as they become available.

Thanks all for your continued patience.

Natalie Helferty

Ontario Director & Conference Chair

Linking Landscapes Symposium

Planning for Restoration of our Urban and Rural Environments

Wednesday, September 29th, 2004

Black Creek Pioneer Village

Canada West Room

1000 Murray Ross Parkway (west of York University)

Toronto, Ontario

Agenda

08:30 - 09:00 Breakfast & Registration

09:00 - 09:10 CSEB Welcome on Planning for Restoration: The NOAH Vision
for
Renewal

09:10 - 09:30 Guest Speaker TBA

SESSION 1 - Restoring our Landscapes: Think Provincial

09:30 - 09:50 The Bigger Picture - Nature Conservancy of Canada

09:50 - 10:15 Ontario Megafauna: The Puma Returns - Ontario Puma
Foundation

10:15 - 10:30 Discussion about Science and Landscape Planning for
Restoration

10:30 - 10:40 Coffee Break

SESSION 2 - Restoration Policy & Practice: Think Regional

10:40 - 11:05 Alternative Land Use Strategy - Norfolk Stewardship

11:05 - 11:30 Terrestrial Natural Heritage Strategy - TRCA

11:30 - 11:50 Discussion about Restoration Policies in Action

11:50 - 12:45 Lunch, with Canadian Peregrine Foundation Demonstration
(TBD)

SESSION 3- Restoring our Home: Think Local

12:45 - 13:10 Guest Speaker - Mayor Rob MacIssac, Greenbelt Task Force

13:10 - 13:35 Urban Cliff Revolution - Dr. Doug Larson

13:35 - 14:00 Innovative Urban Design - Charles Simon, Architect

14:00 - 14:20 Discussion on Restoring our Home

14:20 - 14:30 Cookie & Coffee Break

14:30 - 17:00 Greenbelt Alliance Workshop - Ice Gardens 2nd Floor

14:30 - 17:00 Smartgrowth Network Workshop - Ice Gardens 2nd Floor

14:30 - 16:00 CSEB Annual General Meeting - Black Creek Canada West Room

16:00 - 17:00 Field Trip of Wood Frog Woodlots on York U campus - Dr.
Larry
Licht (TBD)

17:00 - 18:30 Dinner at The Blade Pub & Restaurant in the Ice Gardens
(optional-please RSVP)