[cryptome] Re: Microsoft and the NSA

  • From: Gary Wallin <garylwallin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 07:02:13 -0500

On 7/18/2013 7:59 PM, John Young wrote:
...its greatest enemy is its hyper-paranoia.

National security is not about protecting the nation, its aim
is to generate fear of its inevitable failure.
John, perhaps you are too pessimistic. I don't like the panopticon or the surveillance state. But with 7 billion people on the planet and the inglorious history of human nature, parts of the security programs may be needed. I would prefer that people prevent abuses of the National Security state and surveillance, rather than calling for its abolition.

Constructive criticism is needed and pointed questions must be raised. But in the end, it is not the nature of the State that is our primary concern; it is human nature itself. But both the behavior of both the State and the People give reasons for great concern.