[crypt_staff] Re: Floods

  • From: Ian C Fyvie <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: crypt_staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 23:22:11 +0000

Hello Francis

On 01-Aug-02, you wrote:

> We had some cars 'floating' about our street. We even had some guy out in
> a boat going around all of the houses to make sure that everyone was okay.
>
>> But perhaps the worst thing is the "GUNGE" the floodwater has left
>> behind.
>
> Yes, the gunge (a mixture of mud and sewage) had covered everything in the
> street.

Well as today was so hot ..I reckon that Gunge must be stinking by now :(

>> Mind you ...Yesterday ...Lightening MUST have struck pretty Dammed close
>> our house, The "BANG" of the Thunder was like nothing I have heard before
>> ...Except from explosions in the Hydro Schemes when I was younger.
>>
>> The Windows in the House actually rattled, Ann & I hit the Deck ...And
>> we
>> are still trying to peel Domino off the Ceiling ;)
>
> Speaking of explosions, last night a car outside exploded into a ball of
> flames. It woke me about at around 2:45am and was pretty horrific as it
> looked as though the petrol tank had burst as the flames were travelling
> along the ground setting the surround grass and bushes alight. It took the
> fire brigade near enough an hour to put the flames out.
>
> I've no idea what caused the car to go up like that. Perhaps an electrical
> fault due to the floods.

Frightening ...I only once saw a car explode, unfortunatly after a car
crash, and three people burned to death.

> Thankfully the flat wasn't too badly touched since we are high enough up,
> but everything in my lockup is a write off. :( The only problem that I
> have discovered that relates to the computer is that the phone line seems
> to have been affected so that my connection speed is around 20 Kbps
> instead of the usual 48 Kbps.

Glad your flat was high up mate ... at least you escaped the worst, It a bit
devastating seeing the people on the News throwing all their furniture out
because of the flashfloods :(

Best
--

 ()-()                     Ian c Fyvie
 (o o) The Ferret  <Member of G.A.U.G & AG-NES>