[covna] Fwd: The HOME Initiative

  • From: "RITA THOMPSON" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ("thompsonrr")
  • To: covna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 10:24:06 -0500

Sent from my iPhone
Begin forwarded message:

From: Council Member Ryan Alter <district5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: October 13, 2023 at 8:55:56 AM CDT
To: thompsonrr@xxxxxxx
Subject: The HOME Initiative

 The HOME Initiative Key dates and details about CM Pool's newest initiative
October 11th, 2023
The District 5 Dispatch

Council Member Ryan Alter

Neighbors,

This month kicks off the first public hearing on the HOME initiative that allows modest increases in the number of homes  inside neighborhoods to address two critical community needs: gaining attainable housing for middle-income households and help for homeowners who need options to stay in their neighborhood.

On October 26, the City Council and Planning Commission will hold a joint public hearing at City Hall to hear from you – an important first step before City Planning Department staff craft the ordinance for consideration.

This is just the first of three opportunities for public input (see the schedule below). You will also receive a notice in the mail in the coming week with the dates, times, and locations for upcoming public hearings and meetings.

The HOME proposal (Home Options for Middle-Income Empowerment) will be considered in two phases but only Phase 1 will be taken up this fall. Phase 1 allows more homes – up to 3 total – on single-family properties, which is one more than what is currently already allowed for most lots. Homeowners can modify their residence to have a secondary apartment or add a unit on their property to house a family member, a caregiver, or earn passive income to pay the bills. Phase 1 also offers more flexibility for tiny homes, which can be the most affordable pathway for adding another housing unit.

HOME Phase 2 will have a much longer runway before consideration, and it is still in the exploration stage. City Planning staff anticipate they need at least until spring 2024 to have recommendations ready for public review. Phase 2 proposes a reduction in the minimum lot size requirement to promote small starter homes such as townhomes or cottage courts that are more attainable for homebuyers in the middle-income bracket. Many of Austin’s oldest neighborhoods were built on smaller lots, but codes were changed in the mid 20th century to favor larger and more suburban spacing. As we have grown as a City, this has encouraged sprawl and unaffordability, while preventing many of the more walkable urban neighborhoods that Austinites increasingly seek.  Phase 2 will also have its own public hearings and review process when the modeling and analysis by planning staff become available next year.
***

I understand that there are genuine concerns about how HOME will improve affordability and the impacts it will have on our neighborhoods and our City. I share those concerns, but I also believe that the affordability crisis we’re facing compels us to act boldly and decisively. HOME will empower our friends and neighbors to stay in their homes, avoid displacement, and capitalize on the value of their property. It will incentivize building smaller, more affordable houses, and help mitigate the devastating environmental impacts of continued sprawl and car reliance. It will allow for more intergenerational households, and expand opportunities for home ownership to countless hardworking Austinites. It’s not a cure-all, but it’s a big, important step towards a more inclusive Austin.

I also believe that we need to hear from you. Please join us on Thursday, October 26, beginning at 2pm in person at City Hall or virtually, to talk about HOME and to share your views and your stories.

Councilmember Pool created a HOME Information sheet with the public hearing schedule, more details on the proposal, plus resource and media links.

Share this message with your neighbors and friends who may be interested in HOME. As always, you can reach my office directly at  at District5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Sincerely,
Ryan
Were you forwarded this newsletter? Sign up now!
HOME Phase 1 Public Hearing Schedule
  Sign up for the upcoming public hearings & email Mayor and Council
  • Thursday, Oct 26, 2pm at City Hall: Joint Public Hearing with Council & Planning Commission
  • Tuesday, Nov 14 or 28 at City Hall: Planning Commission Meeting
  • Thursday, Dec 7 at City Hall: City Council Meeting
Sign up for the District 5 Newsletter

This email was sent to thompsonrr@xxxxxxx
Austin City Council Member Ryan Alter · 302 W 2nd St · Austin, TX 78701-4609 · USA