[CORBETTLIST] St. Louis (response) L. Durban and Jacquie's Corbett post on Haitian Political Matters.

  • From: moderator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: corbettlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 13:20:31 -0700

From: "St. Louis, Moise" <mstlouis@xxxxxxxxx>

To Jacquie, Lance, and other members on the list

Just to give context to the conversation about Jovenel and the representatives, and perhaps insert broader considerations for legitimacy, the state, and the responsibility of the well-heeled and educated citizen.

2016 Presidential Election Results
Candidate                       Party
Votes                   %
Jovenel Moïse Haitian Tèt Kale Party 590,927 55.60
Jude Célestin                   Alternative League for Haitian Progress and
                                Empowerment                             207,988
        19.57
Jean-Charles Moïse Platfom Pitit Desalin 117,349 11.04
Maryse Narcisse Fanmi Lavalas 95,765 9.01
The following 23 additional parties garnered a small number of votes 43,607 3.99
Renmen Ayiti, Fusion of Haitian Social Democrats, Randevou, Front Uni pour la Renaissance d'Haïti,
Parti pour l'Evolution Nationale Haïtienne, Konbit Pour Ayiti, Plan d'Action Citoyenne,
Unir-Ayiti-Ini, Cohésion Nationale des Partis Politiques Haïtiens, Parti Alternative pour le
Développement d'Haïti, MOPANOU, Mouvement d'Union République, Rassemblement des Patriotes Haïtiens,
Parti Unité Nationale, Résultat, Konbit Liberasyon Ekonomik, CANAAN, Retabli Ayiti, Parti Démocrate
Institutionnaliste, Mouveman pou Endepandans Kiltirel Sosyal Ekonomik ak Politik an Ayiti,
Independent, Mobilisation pour Haïti, Olah Baton jenès la

None of the above 7,203 0.68
Invalid/blank votes 57,824 0.05
Total 1,120,663 100
Registered voters/turnout 6,189,253 18.11%

So what does it mean when only 18.11% of eligible voters participate in elections and when the elected president only garnered a little over 9% support from eligible voters? In this context, does he have any mandate? Should "we" hold him accountable for failures? With no popular legitimacy, Jovenel threatens the interests of those who have long regarded the nation as their plantation- solely dedicated to their enrichment and wealth extraction by a new electricity plan, reviewing and cancelling lucrative contracts, etc. He was cooked before he began and his lack of effective communication skills prevented him from rallying the population. He should have told the population what was going on and they would have rallied around him. They would have called him a dictator and accuse him of advocating violence...

There has been a well-documented decline in democratic participation due to lack of responsiveness, accountability, fraud, and foreign interference. We went from 90% participation to 18% because the power brokers, including the intellectual elites overthrew the most legitimate government. What Haiti needs is a prolonged one-party dominated system that is responsive to the population and can rebuild the institutions that have been destroyed. There is no one with a degree of legitimacy in our system currently. Yes, the president is inept... we have had quite a few inept and unqualified presidents these past few years... UN receivership did not help and was not designed to help strengthen the state. Its goal was to undermine the legitimate government and the state, sideline democracy activists, and realign control to the elites in the absence of a military force that was dedicated to secure that control. I am not sure why their departure would be seen as negative. At the very least, the elites now have to contend with a population wanting different arrangement. This is a historical moment. If we cannot capture it, there will be blood in the streets.
We need a conservative government who believes in the nation, is responsive to the needs of the population, can provide effective law and order, and hold in check those who would threaten the stability of the state... A militarized police force will be a necessity. I once heard an old Haitian ask, "Mezanmi Kote Leta-a" and she concluded " Ayiti pa gen moun anko..." We are all accomplices in the destruction of the Haitian State, and the well-heeled and educated made that clear when they refused to celebrate the 200 anniversary of the state and collaborated with foreign nations to undermine it.

Mo

Thank you. If you wish to join or unsubscribe please click on this link:
//www.freelists.org/list/corbettlist