[cor_list_trial] Re: First Public Request for Participation

  • From: Kern Mann <kern.mann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cor_list_trial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:16:29 -0500

Hi Chuck,

You're right: we should be sure this feature is available. The FreeLists listserv host we're using doesn't show details for default user options in their help pages. However, FreeLists is based on Ecartis software, which does apparently offer this feature:
--------
To set flags default for a list, do 'default-flags'. WARNING, you must be
CAREFUL with this, it's not a flag list, it is the LITERAL STRING that
will be put in for flags for the user. For example, on a few of my higher
traffic lists, I use:

default-flags = |DIGEST|ACKPOST|ECHOPOST|
--------

We would use NOPOST in such a string. But I've not had the time to even find out how this works, or where this line resides. My thought is, our list would be set to allow anyone to join, but with the default of NOPOST. Then the administrator would allow posting by folks as needed (hopefully a much smaller, static group.)

I'm sure the guy does know, now that he's seen the actual archive.  I'll send you a copy
of his emails "off list."

hth, Kern

-----
Kern Mann
Library Systems Technician
Rochester Public Library
Rochester NH 03867

ph: 603.335.7587
fx: 603.335.7582
kern.mann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chuck Grassie wrote:
This could be a problem if the software didn't allow non-posting members.  I
was unaware that some of the list serve software could do this
automatically.
I don't have a problem with this and think it would be great if it can be
done with creating a huge staff time commitment.  Does this guy know that we
aren't really using this for much more than a trial at this time?
Chuck