[CTS] Re: W98 hanging problem

  • From: Hal Brown <hdb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:09:11 -0500

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 11:54:02AM -0500, Murray Reid duly noted:
>Hi, I am having a problem with W98 first edition on my other computer.
>
>I did a virus scan this morning and it seemed to go on forever (about an hour)
>mostly on temp internet files, so I stopped it and it reported no infected
>files.
>I am using McAfee Virus Scan.
>After that I did a drive C: disk cleanup to delete the temp int. files.
>I then rebooted to recapture resources and the computer at the Windows "splash
>screen".  I tried this a couple of times, same result.
>I then booted using W98 startup disk and reinstalled W98. It installed all the
>files and then restarted the computer.  It is now hung at the "splash screen"
>that has the message "GETTING READY TO RUN WINDOWS FOR THE FIRST TIME"
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions on what my problem might be.
>
>I hate to think that I might have to reformat
>
>thanks
>
>Murray Reid
--------end quoted text----------
Sounds like the installation failed to complete.

It's not that unusual for an installation to go south (no pun intended Russ
;-)).  It's worth a  try installing again, but it probably won't help.  A
clean install is always the best way, and if you're having problems to begin
with, installing over a system is not the best way to find out what's wrong.
Sorry, but that's all I have to tell you.

--
Hal Brown
mailto: hdb@xxxxxxx

List HowTo: http://questforcertification.com/cts/faq