[CTS] Re: OT: L.A. beaches to be smoke-free - Russ #3

  • From: "Jack Hand" <jackhand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:27:35 +0000

Russ,

 I live next to Washington, DC.  Many of the poor are living
in houses that had been painted with lead based paints.  Well,
if you are poor, you cannot afford much.  Milk is more expensive
than water.  Yet, milk provides calcium to growing bodies.  Young
children, needing calcium, were chewing the plaster, to get the
calcium in it.  Needless to say, they were also ingesting the lead
based paint.  Result, retarded children.  They can never be cured.

;-(((

From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@xxxxxxxxxx>

An equally stupid thing is lead based paint. How many of us born before they
outlawed lead in paint have a lead poisoning problem? How many of us in
general have eaten paint off the wall as kids or have had kids run up and
chew the paint - unless you are a couple with pets for kids rather than real
offspring. Same goes with outlawing lead shot in shotgun shells, tetraethyl
lead in fuel and even as much as lead sinkers for fishing - it is all total
BS...even much of it made up to create new business niches for some while
shutting down tghe competition. It would be great if you were a dying paint
manufacturer that sold latex based paints but no one bought from you - you
could get other paint companies shut down and your product into the arena of
being the normal and "safe" product and you even could start a child company
that goes out inspecting and cleaning up the years of lead based paints
while recoating with your products that are now in the spotlight. This 50 yr
old house we own had owners that got scared in the late 70's and had all the
drywall removed and new installed. I know this as I scraped the textured mud
off the surface that was installed with the new drywall and found only latex
and asked the owner that had it for 30 yrs prior to us - they indeed got
scared and had the entire thing redone at an outrageous cost yet nothing
changed with the health of their oldest son - the doctors focused on
something they thought should be addressed when it ended up being a reaction
to the formaldehyde in the new carpets that were installed - no levels of
lead were found when a real blood test was done. Go figure.

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm