[CTS] Microsoft update? Yeah, Right

  • From: Vernon Balbert <vbalbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Computer Shop Talk <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 13:49:55 -0700

I just got an interesting e-mail purportedly from Microsoft which partially reads:

"this is the latest version of security update, the "July 2004, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow an attacker to run executable on your system. This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches."

I have not changed any of the wording. This e-mail looks pretty official, using Microsoft logos and some nice formatting. The e-mail address is: tiseshzso@xxxxxxxxxxx, probably a spoofed or invalid address. However, it includes an attachment called "INSTALLER7.exe". NEVER, EVER, OPEN ANY ATTACHMENT FROM AN UNKNOWN SOURCE, OR EVEN FROM MICROSOFT. I do not say this because I think Microsoft is a bad company but because I'm pretty certain that they would not send an executable attachment via e-mail.

Just a warning for everybody.

The attachment is infected with the I-Worm/Swen.A virus in case you're interested. For more information regarding this see:

http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=88029

Be careful out there.

Vern

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm