[CTS] Linux Mandrake 9.0

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <crbgfblab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 14:05:12 -0800

I decided to give this one a shot and the results (mine) is kinda mixed. I
will say, for someone who haven't even attempted to install Linux, this is
the one you should get. The install process was darn near flawless. Even
connected to the Internet for the FIRST time with any flavor of Linux.

The down side for me was, as always, I like experimenting with multi-boot
computers. I didn't want to try it on the W2K Server machine. (for obvious
reasons) So I tried it on the workhorse computer. (Two XP installs, W2K Pro
and .NET)  Everything was going ok until I tried to get the LILO boot loader
to boot to XP by default, instead of Linux. Something when terribly wrong
somewhere! :-O  Let's put it this way, I just got back online about 15
minutes or so ago, and this adventure started yesterday around 6-ish pm. It
wiped out my c drive which W2K was installed on. I mean the partition was
basically none existant. So I had to re-install W2K. Then I had to get the
other three OS's working correctly. Which wasn't TOO bad.

With all things considered, just looking at Mandrake 9.0, I would give it a
thumbs up! I would also suggest using a different box! <ng> :-)

Un-subscribe/Vacation, http://szaroconsulting.com/cts/list_options.htm

List HowTo: http://szaroconsulting.com/cts/faq

http://szaroconsulting.com/cts/other_cts_lists.htm