[CTS] Hard Drive Assignment

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:14:07 -0800

It seems that something is amiss somewhere. :-(

I want to re-arrange my hard drives to where it will be safe to remove
one drive, but it seems there's a miscommunication somewhere along the
lines.  Let me try to explain...

All drives are SATA, so there shouldn't be any confusion on that part.

The problem is, I believe the drive with the intermitted problems is the
(older) 320gb drive. Which Windows has as Disk 0 (Disk 1 in PM) Thus
this is where the "boot" partition is located.

The "system" partition is on the 200gb drive which is Disk2 (Disk 3 in
pm)

The "new" 320gb drive is Disk 1(Disk 2 in pm)

The 250gb drive is Disk 3 (Disk 4 in pm)

This is where it gets more confusing. :-)

According to the motherboard manual, the sata connections are SATA 1, 2,
3, 4 (top to bottom)

I have the 200gb in SATA 1, 250gb in SATA2,  "old" 320gb in SATA3 and
the "new" 320gb in SATA4

In the BIOS, the order of booting (as far as the hd's are concerned) is
the same.

Why would Windows choose the drive that is on SATA3 as Disk 0, thus
making that the drive with the boot partition, although the OS is
installed on the drive that is on SATA1 but is listed as Disk 2 in
Windows?

There's no getting around a re-install, because since the "old" 320gb is
seen as the very first drive, that is where Linux installed the boot
loader, thus, if the drive is removed, I can't boot into either system.
I could use the Linux dvd to boot into Linux of course.

So the bottom line is, what I want is to have the drives to be listed as
I originally wanted, 200,250,320,320. With the 200 being the boot drive.

Is this even possible, or am I screwed?

Now to answer my own damn question, it just dawned on me....

unplug ALL the drives except the 200. Install Windows and plug the other
drives in one at a time.

That brings up one more question, once I do this, will windows ignore
the "boot" partition on the "old" 320 drive when I plug it back in?

I need a drink....

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels

 ** YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED **
DONATE to Hurricane Katrina victims: http://www.redcross.org/
DONATE Housing (Spare room, shelter) http://www.hurricanehousing.org/

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm