[CTS] Re: Free Mac stuff?

  • From: Ross Nelson <ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:00:13 -0600

While none of it's needed yet, it never hurts to have. The only problem is, there's not much in the way of free AV stuff out there (and I'm unaware of any anti-spyware).

Symantec AV is simple to use, Virex is simple. Both cost (Virex is free with a .Mac membership), though. ClamX, a front-end to ClamAV, is free and open source, but it's not the most user-friendly and doesn't run itself in the background. You and I would have no problems using it, she may or may not.

As far as other programs, here's what I have on my dock. Granted, I'm not your average computer user, but there are a few things there which may be worth grabbing or might spark some ideas for general applications
Stattoo - 'tattoos' for your desktop, $12.95, panic.com
Mail - /Applications/Mail.app
Safari - /Applications/Safari.app
Opera - never hurts to have more than one browser
Unison - usenet client, $24.95, panic.com
iCal - /Applications/iCal.app
Address Book - /Applications/Address\ Book.app
Photoshop - from Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium
InDesign - from Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium
OmniOutliner - an outlining program, *great* for notes in class (though I doubt that applies) - may be bundled with the system
AbiWord - word processor; Microsoft Office is horrible on Mac, free, www.abiword.org
iChat - /Applications/iChat.app
Adium - my IM client of choice
Toast - Roxio's CD burning program, best out there for Mac, unsure of the price
iTunes - /Applications/iTunes.app
iSleep - shareware program to make your computer act like an alarm clock, isleep.free.fr
Fugu - open source graphical ftp/sftp/scp client
Vim - www.vim.org
Xcode - Apple's free IDE, working on some homework in it right now, check installation dvd
Terminal - /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
Calculator - /Applications/Calculator.app
ClamX - see above

On Nov 27, 2005, at 8:50 PM, Eric C. Vogel wrote:

Grandma got a iMac. Any apps she may like like Anti-virus, spyware. Any other program?

** YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED ** DONATE to Hurricane Katrina victims: http://www.redcross.org/ DONATE Housing (Spare room, shelter) http://www.hurricanehousing.org/

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm