[CTS] Re: Black screen

  • From: "Michael" <muirhead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:53:51 -0800

I just had this same problem with an installation of W2K the other day... and it turned out that Windows was just taking a very long time (like >15 minutes) to get its PnP and desktop stuff organized. All I did was wait (well, I did an awful lot of puzzling while I was at it,) and after it got itself set up that first time, it's fine.

Beats me if yours is/isn't doing the same, but it's worth checking out if you haven't already.

((U))

DavisUnit wrote:
I've got a Compaq Presario 6330 XP Home system here which after
booting up, displays the mouse pointer, and nothing else, just a
black screen.  Booting into Safe Mode shows the same thing except the
"safe mode" text is in 4 corners. The mouse moves normally, but I
can't seem to do anything with the keyboard to either bring up the
Task List, or exiting windows through the Start Menu key.
I did a repair install, and during this time, video, mouse and
keyboard all work normally.  After the repair when XP boots normally
or I force it into Safe Mode, the same results occur as before the
repair install.

Any ideas?
Terry

Un-subscribe/Vacation,