[cochiselinux] Re: GRASS5 MapServer - GIS web application

  • From: "Prevett, Larry" <Prevettl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:17:58 -0700

There is also http://www.topozone.com
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=31.5236&lon=-110.304&s=200&size=m&symshow=n&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

Bob Nolte

----

Nice site, beautiful maps. That site is a better example of what
serious cartographers can really do with a map server. If you really
put some time into it, you could build the same kind of application
with GRASS5, MapServer, and you would also want to interface with
a database like postgres/postgis (see first link below) which we
haven't done yet (but have plans to do so.) There are some very nice
(and very expensive) commercial products for GIS and maps, but
if you don't have the money, you can still do some nice work with
freely available open source apps.

Here's some other links for other mapservers I've been looking
at for ideas for what we could do with our mapserver. They all have
Linux/Unix/MapServer somewhere in the equation
(may have to poke around some.)

# Austin Road Maps
http://www.pghoster.com/gis/
# University of New Mexico Amphibians and Reptiles
http://msbherp.unm.edu/
# Medina County, OH, Highway Engineer
http://www.highwayengineer.co.medina.oh.us/mapserver/
#
Moxi Media
http://moximedia.com/imf_sites.html
 # Mapserver Users
 http://www.moximedia.com/imf-ows/imf.jsp?site=ms_users
# http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/docs/radmapserver/howto-5.html

GRASS5 also handles aerial photography and satellite images.
# Space Imaging
http://www.spaceimaging.com
(search for Cochise County, also see 1 meter resolution example)

Good Data Source for Southern Arizona
# Southern Arizona Data Services Program
http://sdfsnet.srnr.arizona.edu/index.php

lp

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat