[cochiselinux] Re: GRASS5 MapServer - GIS web application

  • From: "Bob Nolte" <bnolte@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:34:06 -0700

There is also http://www.topozone.com

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=31.5236&lon=-110.304&s=200&size=m&symshow=n&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

Bob Nolte

----- Original Message -----
From: "Prevett, Larry" <Prevettl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 11:09 AM
Subject: [cochiselinux] GRASS5 MapServer - GIS web application

Here's an open source demo map server for parts of Arizona and Cochise =
County
that was just installed at the college. It's not finished and not
very well documented but I thought some of the people on the=20
list might find it interesting. Hopefully, it will be fully functional
by September. It's being used right now to keep track of some wells
for water quality testing in Cochise County.

It uses GRASS 5.0 on the backend, apache, and a php application
called mapscript, and it was fairly easy to install.
All the data was free from the USGS and ALRIS and except for
the DEM color map of Arizona was just uploaded without much processing.

You can run GRASS-GIS as a stand alone X Windows application and it
works great. We're using it for math/science but it would be fairly
easy to adapt it to run a street/town locator web application like
the ones you find on the web, but for local areas and local annotations.

A lot of the data is old and incorrect. Over time maybe we can clean
the data up and make it something really useful.

http://geo.cochise.edu/~geology/start.html

lp