[citw150] Re: CITW150 L3_Q5 Break Ins

  • From: Jared Smith <waynesworldfire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:21:00 -0700 (PDT)

who that is crazy! Bill Gates got his info jacked.  That is pretty crazy and
definitely makes you wonder how easy it must be for them to get that info from
regular blue collar workers who don't know nearly as much about computers as he
does.  Good stuff!
Jared Smith

Samantha Torok <sailboat1030@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The internet socitial issue I thought was most interesting, is internet Break
Ins.  Several websites you can visit have portions where you fill out your
name, email address, and sometimes sensitive information like credit card
numbers.  When websites with this information bet broken into, this information
can be viewed by the wrong people.  These people can steal all of your
information.  There were 9 e-commerce sites and 26,000 peoples information was
given out.  One of the people was even Bill Gates!!  That was in 2000 and I'm
sure several other cases have been found out since then.
The people that break in are called crackers.  If they are caught trespassing,
its a year in prison, five years for  stealing money, and ten years for
stealing information like credit card numbers.

This link is a company that will sell you information about how to prevent
break ins.
http://www.test.bitpipe.com/detail/RES/1060189856_508.html

Sami Torok

Yahoo! for Good