[citw150] Re: CITW 150 L3 Q5 - Communications Decency Act

  • From: Nate Kunik <medickunik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 00:16:07 -0700 (PDT)

I agree that it is very concerning how generic the laws are made when
confronting what is "decent".  Being in medicine I look at biology and other
science related web pages all the time, when that law was passed more than a
few A&P web pages quit showing certain parts of the body, this is just
ridiculous.  As with a lot of things, its good to protect people but don't
censor the adult majority of the minority.

Jamie Cripe <jamiecripe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Since I have worked not only with
bands who write music, but also have been
the creator of an online music magazine and a long-time advocate of free
speech, I felt it was only appropriate to choose the topic of censorship and
the Communications Decency Act as my topic.

This act was originally struck down by the Supreme Court, but was then
somehow passed in February 1996. It imposed a strict censorship on the
Internet including "indecent" materials and even could have included
literature texts. Thankfully, three Federal judges unanimously voted against
this act, thus restoring the Internet to its original free-speech state.

I feel that the Internet is our last medium of the true First Amendment
rights we have left, and to lose that would be a huge step in the WRONG
direction. I love that everyone has the ability to create a website or make
posts on message boards stating their opinions or whatever they want however
they want.

http://www.cdt.org/speech/cda/

http://www.ciec.org/victory.shtml

Jamie M. Cripe
jamiecripe@xxxxxxxxxxx

"The dictate of the Light says: 'Know yourself and what you are.' The Dark
replies, 'By all means, but then become afraid.'"