[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q5 - Communications Decency Act

  • From: "Jamie Cripe" <jamiecripe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 00:29:47 -0400

Since I have worked not only with bands who write music, but also have been the creator of an online music magazine and a long-time advocate of free speech, I felt it was only appropriate to choose the topic of censorship and the Communications Decency Act as my topic.

This act was originally struck down by the Supreme Court, but was then somehow passed in February 1996. It imposed a strict censorship on the Internet including "indecent" materials and even could have included literature texts. Thankfully, three Federal judges unanimously voted against this act, thus restoring the Internet to its original free-speech state.

I feel that the Internet is our last medium of the true First Amendment rights we have left, and to lose that would be a huge step in the WRONG direction. I love that everyone has the ability to create a website or make posts on message boards stating their opinions or whatever they want however they want.

http://www.cdt.org/speech/cda/

http://www.ciec.org/victory.shtml

Jamie M. Cripe
jamiecripe@xxxxxxxxxxx

"The dictate of the Light says: 'Know yourself and what you are.' The Dark replies, 'By all means, but then become afraid.'"