[chaoscope] Using chaoscope in graphic design

  • From: "Sham B" <shamb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 23:01:31 +0100

Hi folks

I've been basing my current site redesign on graphics created using Chaoscope. Might be of interest to some people out there, as it shows how Chaoscope can be easily integrated within graphic and web designs...

http://weblog.motion-graphics.org/archives/2007/05/site_design_upd_1.html

Click on the 'bigger image' links you see on the blog page to see the graphics
in their full glory.

Ive rendered all the patterns at 1600x1600 at max iterations (takes about an hour per render), then cropped to the part of the pattern that interests me, or downscaled.

To change the chaoscape patterns so that they use a white background, I've simply inverted the whole image, then colour corrected the main pattern in Photoshop (a good trick if you dont want to invert the pattern colours - but you DO want to invert the background to white - is to create an inverted color gradient for your renders... that way when you invert, you get back to the original colours but on a white background).

Finally, most of the graphics are a mixture of solid, plasma and liquid renders. Using a plasma render multiplied with a liquid render does a lot to give a pattern a better luminosity range IMO, and superimposing a plasma render over a solid render gives a pretty cool translucent effect (I generally erased parts of the colour render so that only sections of the underlying solid have colour).

Tools
I used Chaoscope (latest version) and Photoshop CS3, running on Windows Vista, toshiba P100-240 laptop, 2Gig memory. I'm currently creating the CSS and image slices using Dreamweaver CS3 and Photoshop CS3.

Regards

Sham B, Flash web developer