[chaoscope] Re: How best to report bugs

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:41:07 +0100

Hi Anton, hello all,

first of all, thanks for your previous post.

Chaoscope is still in the beginning.

I concur.

Lots of nice pictures are attached here, but this can cause mailbox overflow
unless one is a
G-mail subscriber. (Yahoo now gives 100MB free) but those on 5MB limit can soon
feal the pinch,
but that is not the point but just comenting an early mail on this list.

I'm sure Yahoo and Hotmail email accounts come with very clever options which allow to filter emails (on subject, size, etc.) and send them directly to the trashcan if your priority is to keep a functioning mail box. Images are available in the archives, so they wouldn't be lost anyway.

Having played with eschopcoa (that is chaoscope in chaos)there are a few
niggles and bugs that I
have observed - How best to report these in a structured way that they really
get noted and not
lost within a list that will grow bigger and bigger.

Good point. There are a few things you must check before you report a bug :

1) Read the manual, what you think is a bug could be a feature, or an official missing feature (i.e. view width and height combo boxes in the view palette).

2) Search the mailing-list archives for any previous mention of the bug. (link in the signature below)

3) Find the shortest procedure to reproduce the bug.

4) Make a screen capture if relevant.

5) Send the lot, begin your subject line with a "[bug]" tag, followed by a short description.

I'll send a confirmation back, and in case it's a nasty bug, it will be mentioned on the web site Download page, until a new corrected release is made available.

Version 0.2 beta-testing was done in April, you might want to have a look at the archives to see how it went.

The same applies for a wish list.

I'm going to post a development update, 0.3 features list is pretty much closed now.
What's good for the bug report is good for suggestions, I advise you to search for the archives first to see if it's been mentioned before.

Thanks again for your support!

Happy 4th of July to American subscribers!

Regards,

Nicolas Desprez