[chaoscope] Benchmark!

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:51:09 +0000

Hi all,

I eventually put together a set of 15 projects for benchmarking purposes, so we'll all be able to find out how well our machine is doing compared to others. Currently, the rendering speed is primarily dependent on CPU clock speed, and to a lesser extent on the Front Side Bus speed and memory frequency. As I mentioned before the compiler I use is rather outdated, it doesn't make use of MMX, 3DNow nor SSE extensions, and the rendering engine is single threaded which means it doesn't care about Hyper Threading, multi processor motherboards or multicore processors. The procedure I'd like you to follow is included in the archive and goes as follow:

- Ensure you have the latest version of Chaoscope installed
- Extract the benchmark projects into an empty folder
- Close all running applications
- Delete or move the "batch.log" file (if it exists) from the Chaoscope program folder
- Launch Chaoscope
- Go to File -> Batch Processing
- Point the project folder to the benchmark folder
- Point the image folder to a temporary folder. The images can be deleted once the benchmark is over.
- Check "Create a log"
- Press the "Start" button
- Download CPU-Z at http://www.cpuid.com/
- Run CPU-Z
- Click on the "About" tab.
- Press the "Registers Dump (.txt)" button and save the cpuz.txt file
- Send an email to chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with both the new batch.log and cpuz.txt files attached

Don't send your results to the mailing-list. Only participate if you feel this is not too technical for you.

Once I've gathered enough results I'll create a benchmark page on the web site and visitors will be invited to take part. Submissions will be anonymous so that it doesn't turn into a competition. :-)

Just to let you know the benchmark took 8 minutes 6 seconds to run on my machine, a P4 Northwood 2.66Ghz with 512MB of PC1066 RDRAM.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Nicolas Desprez