[cdvdburn] Patched CDFSSoftATAPI for IYONIX - testers needed

  • From: Steffen Huber <steffen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cdvdburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:48:39 +0200

Hi,

thanks to the open sourcing of RISC OS by RISCOS Open Ltd, I finally
had the chance to take a closer look at the standard CDFSSoftATAPI
driver as delivered in RISC OS 5. One of the problems of this driver
always was lack of compatibility when using it with DVD writers
in conjunction with DVD media.

I think I have identified the reason why it didn't work e.g. with
LG drives, and have produced a quick-hack-patched version which
allows my Blu-Ray LG drive to read both BD-RE and DVD-RAM media
via CDFS.

For simplicity, I had to remove a few features from the driver,
namely:
- Get/SetParameters support (tried to set read speed, timeout
  and retry settings in an incompatible manner)

- Multisession support - for simplicity, only supports single session

- EnquireDataMode will always return "mode 1" instead of trying to
  detect the correct type of disc

In other words, it will help you reading Data DVDs, and you will still
be able to read single session Data CDs, but it ruins pretty much
everything else ;-)

So I am looking for a few brave and fearless testers with:
- an IYONIX
- a drive (DVD-ROM or DVD Writer) which previously wasn't able to read
  Data DVDs

Steffen

--
Steffen Huber           LambdaComm System - Welcome to Trollinger Country
steffen@xxxxxxxxxxxx