<CT> Re: 'Tray' functions in next version

  • From: Erwin Dokter <edokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 00:18:46 +0200

Reid wrote:

> In the CII 3.25 update, the %calmira%\tray directory changes from
> corresponding with the applet tray to the launch bar.  To be honest, I don't
> like this.  Could the applet tray be %calmira%\tray and the launch bar be
> %calmira%\launch ?  This would allow the use of aliases in both the tray and
> launch bar.  It may seem simple to me, but is it possible?  I feel that it
> would greatly improve the customization of Calmira.  If it can be
> implemented, would it be available in the next update, like 3.3?

Hi,

I conciously made the choice to seperate the functionality of the applet
tray and the quick bar. So I moved the aliasses out of the applet tray
and reserved them for the quick bar. This because using aliases always
results in a button being placed on the task bar, which is not
consistent with applet behaviour. The applet bar is intended to host
(system) software which runs continually in the background. The quickbar
can host any application.

Allowing aliases for both the quick bar and applet tray also makes
matters more confusing. I think I made the right decision and kept the
taskbar more intuitve and clear in layout and functionality. I know many
users praise the super-configurability of Calmira, but it should not be
taken too far, as not every Calmira user is a power user.

I realize that '\tray' is not the ideal name for the quick bar aliases,
but I had to preserve backward compatibility. I may rename it to
'\quickbar' in 4.0. I considered that changes like this may not fall
well with anyone, but that is the price of progress... :)

Any thoughts are welcome.

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:edokter@xxxxxxx
   http://members.home.nl/edokter