<CT> Re: Tray and QuickLaunch

  • From: GLENNRPH@xxxxxxx
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:53:58 EDT

Erwin,
This sort of touches on a similar idea I had a little over a week
ago.  While I realize that many more are familiar with the
Quick Launch bar of Windows 98 and up, those of us that
are more accustomed to the original Windows 95 do not
have the Quick Launch bar, unless you install it as part
of some update to Active Desktop, IIRC.  Myself, I don't
even like the Quick Launch bar of typical Win98 systems.
Basically, in my opinion, the Quick Launch results in a
greatly increased resource usage on a Win98 machine
when you compare it to a Win95.  Anyway, the best that
I've been able to get on "typical" home users Win98 and
Win98SE machine is about 92% System resources available
after bootup.  This compares to my Win95A getting typically
98%, even with NAV AutoProtect, MS Scheduler Agent and
System Monitor loaded, as well as an incremental antivirus
scan using Inoculate IT PE.  Is this Quick Launch bar on
Calmira II 4 going to result in similar resource usage?  If
so, will it be possible to disable Quick Launch entirely and
use only the "Tray" area for quick access?
Thanks for listening!
See you all later,
Glenn
GlennRPH@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://members.aol.com/GLENNRPH/glennrph.htm

<< Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 00:18:46 +0200
 From: Erwin Dokter <edokter@xxxxxxx>
 Subject: <CT> Re: 'Tray' functions in next version

 Reid wrote:

 > In the CII 3.25 update, the %calmira%\tray directory changes from
corresponding with the applet tray to the launch bar.  To be honest, I don't
like this.  Could the applet tray be %calmira%\tray and the launch bar be
%calmira%\launch ?  This would allow the use of aliases in both the tray and
launch bar.  It may seem simple to me, but is it possible?  I feel that it
would greatly improve the customization of Calmira.  If it can be
implemented, would it be available in the next update, like 3.3?

 Hi,

 I conciously made the choice to seperate the functionality of the applet
 tray and the quick bar. So I moved the aliasses out of the applet tray
 and reserved them for the quick bar. This because using aliases always
 results in a button being placed on the task bar, which is not
 consistent with applet behaviour. The applet bar is intended to host
 (system) software which runs continually in the background. The quickbar
 can host any application.

 Allowing aliases for both the quick bar and applet tray also makes
 matters more confusing. I think I made the right decision and kept the
 taskbar more intuitve and clear in layout and functionality. I know many
 users praise the super-configurability of Calmira, but it should not be
 taken too far, as not every Calmira user is a power user.

 I realize that '\tray' is not the ideal name for the quick bar aliases,
 but I had to preserve backward compatibility. I may rename it to
 '\quickbar' in 4.0. I considered that changes like this may not fall
 well with anyone, but that is the price of progress... :)

 Any thoughts are welcome.

 -- Erwin Dokter
    mailto:edokter@xxxxxxx
    http://members.home.nl/edokter >>