<CT> Re: Sorting by name takes much longer than sorting by date - ? / Networking

  • From: Erwin Dokter <edokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 18:00:29 +0100

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

> A minor annoyance in Calmira that I've been noticing for a while is this
> one: When I open an icon window of my download directory (965 "objects",
> 480 megs at the moment) and choose to change the sorting from "by name"
> to "by date" or "by size", this happens almost instantly (I hadn't
> expected anything else from a PIII machine either). However, sorting by
> type or switching back to sorting by name takes a while (about 5 seconds
> - not much, but I don't want to know how long it would take on a DX/2).
> Seems like there's still some potential for optimization?

Hi Stephan,

The main difference in sorting by name or type compared to sorting by
size or date, is that calmira has to sort text instead of numbers, which
is inherently slower. I tried this on my P133 and the winnt\system32
folder (1052 objects), but both sorting actions are almost
instantaniously.

No problem here... can't explain it.

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:edokter@xxxxxxx