<CT> Re: Software

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:15:47 -0500

Windows 95 and up has a TCP/IP stack built in, but Windows 3.1 does
not. As far as I know, the only practical winsock for Windows 3.1 is
the shareware Trumpet Winsock. But I thought the following from the
alt.winsock FAQ (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/windows/winsock-faq/) might
help explain things:

-------- begin excerpt --------
WINSOCK.DLL actually acts as a "layer" between your WinSock
   applications and your TCP/IP stack.  Your WinSock applications tell
   WINSOCK.DLL what to do, WINSOCK.DLL translates these commands to your
   TCP/IP stack, and your TCP/IP stack passes them on to the Internet!

   But the most important thing for you to remember about WINSOCK.DLL is
   that the WINSOCK.DLL you're using must match the version of TCP/IP
   that you're running. Don't assume that because all WinSocks are called
   WINSOCK.DLL that they're all the same--they're not. So, for example,
   if I'm using Microsoft's TCP/IP, I can't use Trumpet Winsock.
----------  end excerpt --------------

Pegasus Mail is freeware. If your copy is incomplete, just go to
www.pmail.com and download the latest 16-bit version, which is 3.12b.
I've been using Pegasus Mail for years.

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 10:20:14 -0600 Ross Nelson <coutcin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey all.
>
> I was setting up a computer for someone, and went back yesterday to
> set up his internet (refuge from Africa, sponsor couple for our house
> ), but the ISP wasn't the brightest.  First, Opera 3.62 doesn't come
> with WINSOCK.DLL.  I couldn't find a copy for Win 3.1.  Can someone
> send one?
>
> Also, they gave him Pegasus.  Great client, finally figured out how to
> use POP on it; however, it doesn't come with a couple DLLs that it
> needs for POP.  Can someone tell me a good client that'll fit on a
> floppy and will work without anything extra (or Winsock, if I get a
> copy).  I'd upgrade him to Windows 95 or 98, since that's what he's
> used to, but the system is what my 486 was...4mb ram, 486-SX, 170mb
> hdd.  LoL.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ