<CT> Re: Opinion on something...

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <marty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 06:23:48 -0500
On 12 Mar 2001, at 0:17, "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Should I link in new shots in alphabetical order, and let the visitor
> spot the new ones in the table of links, OR ...
> Link the new ones in at the front of the line, making them the first
> ones in the tour, while destroying future alphabetical order?

Why can't you do both? Though, frankly, I don't see the virtue of an
alphabetical list, unless there is no better logical ordering.

If you wanted to use frames (though I myself don't know how to use
frames) it should be simple. The user clicks on "New Screenshots" and
then gets a view with a main frame showing the screenshot and a
little frame with either a list of new screenshots, or a "next new
frame" and a "previous new frame" link. Meanwhile the main frame has
the standard "Next" and "Back" links in alphabetical (or other
logical) order. If the user clicks on "alphabetical tour" there are
no frames, just the screenshots with the standard links.

If you don't want to use frames, you could still have two (or more)
separate tours. Since an image is not part of the HTML, but is linked
by an IMG element, you can create several tours of the same set of
images; each image is stored only once, and the HTML pages that make
up each tour take very little storage space. So the user could choose
an alphabetical tour, with all the pages linked in alphabetical
order, or a tour of the new pages in some other order, or any other
tour of any logical subset you want to devise.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ
http://www.netlabs.net/hp/marty/