<CT> Re: Is anybody still there?

  • From: Bob Groves <bobgroves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:09:08 +0000

On Wednesday 08 Sep 2004 1:23 pm, Mike Gr=E4nz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> uhm, i still have 20 downloads of calpaint per week, therefore calmira
> and windows 3.1x arn't dead, but the user's that use it is decreasing....
>
> Mike

Yes, it looks like Calmira still has fans. But I'm wondering where it can g=
o=20
from now on? I've known the project since original author Li Hsin Huang=20
created its predecessor Calypso, and then went and got a fancy job with=20
Microsoft on the back of his achievement. Heady days for us all - Windows 3=
=2E1=20
with a Win 95 interface! Maybe the future should be about producing a new=20
shell for the rapidly ageing Windows 95 - i.e. not just a skin but an=20
alternative shell with Win XP (or 'longhorn'?) look-and-feel which gives ol=
d=20
machines a new lease of life? Many will advocate LiteStep for this sort of=
=20
approach, but the problem with that has always been LiteStep is a pain to=20
configure and modify - Calmira was always easy to set up 'right out out of=
=20
the box'. Calmira XP anyone?

(Wish I could help with this - but sadly my coding skills only go as far as=
=20
the odd Linux bash script)

=2D-=20
Bob Groves, Hon. Sec. APTT