<CT> Alternative shell for win311

  • From: Clive Wright <clive_wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:24:37 +0100

        Unfortunately I am not talking about free software.
        There has been a lot of discussion on the list re.
alternative shells.
I am in the position at work that my pc runs windows
3.11(wfwg) and am not allowed to load any shareware or
freeware which rules out calmira.
I do not like progman or winfile as shells hence a search of
the applications already on the pc that would function as a
shell. Modifying system.ini in the same way as doing a
manual install of calmira I eventually ended up with:

[boot]
;shell=progman.exe
shell=C:\Msoffice\Msoffice.exe

This gave me an uncluttered desktop with an easily
configured pulldown menu and a button bar to launch
frequently used applications; one preconfigured button even
launches a dll that provides a file search facility.
        I am sure that I am not the only windows user to configure
my desktop in this way but I have not found it documented
anywhere. I am hoping this email may provide food for
thought, or perhaps someone on the list has already tried
this and rejected it for whatever reason.

clive