[cad-linux-dev] Re: uber-converter points data storage

  • From: Bruno Postle <bruno@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:41:47 +0100

On Thu 19-Aug-2004 at 14:27 -0500, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> Looking at points as if they were layers might give us some
> insight.  Pythoncad uses a points table to track the points of all
> of the entities.  Why don't we have points objects (not the marks
> that are currently typed as 'points) and just have a list of
> pointIDs inside each object?

Ultimately both should work - Being able to link to a point in
another entity is necessary if parametrics and restraints are going
to be supported.

ie. carry on storing points as vectors/coordinates inside the
element:

  points:
    -
      - 10.3
      - 3.0
      - -6.3
    -
      - 2.0
      - 3.5
      - 6.9

..but later have a syntax for addressing a point in another element:

  points:
    -
      - 10.3
      - 3.0
      - -6.3
    - ref#10.yml/points/5

Programmers can use the 'reference' method entirely for a particular
application if they need it.

--
Bruno