[burpg] Taking a selfie of the rocket in space

  • From: Armor Harris <armorharris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "burpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <burpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 21:11:22 -0700

I had a crazy idea today that I want to try. Let's have the Mk V take a
selfie in space. I'm envisioning something like the iconic image below, but
with our rocket as opposed to the space shuttle.

http://www.sanhujinka.org/space-shuttle-in-space.html

Basically the idea is to eject a camera pod from the payload bay once we
clear the atmosphere that slowly floats away from the rocket, taking
pictures as it backs away. The pod will have it's own parachute and GPS
tracker.

If it's cleverly shaped it will decelerate nicely and have not-stressful
loads on the recovery system. We could also write some data to an SD card
in it so that if the main rocket recovery fails, we have a backup to get
pictures and data from space.

It's a low risk/high reward secondary objective. If our little "satellite"
doesn't deploy, then nbd and the rocket continues as normal. If it does
deploy and we can't find it when it re-enters, nbd. If it does deploy and
we get it back, it will be pretty much the coolest thing ever done.

Does someone want to volunteer to work on this?