Broad Oak PS & ELC Mailing Newsletter No 26.doc

  • From: Lynne Atkinson <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: broadoak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:18:35 +0100

Newsletter No: 27

Date: 1 April 2008

Parent Governor Vacancy

Due to the change of status of one of our governors, the school has a
vacancy for a Parent Governor and is seeking applications from interested
parents.  An information sheet and nomination form is available from the
school office or alternatively can be downloaded from the Governors section
of the website.   Nomination forms must be received by the school office by
12 Noon on Monday 21 April (1st day of new term).  On occasions the school
has received more than one nomination and, in this event, the school will
hold a ballot.  In the event of a ballot, ballot papers will be issued on
Tuesday 22 April and must be returned by Tuesday, 6 May.

The role of governor is an important one that needs commitment; however,
there are not many meetings during the year.  Meetings are usually held in
the evenings.  If you would like to discuss the possibility of becoming a
governor, please contact the school office and they will provide you with
the contact details for Mrs Naylor, our Chair of Governors, or you can talk
to me.

Sponsored Read ? Thank you

A huge thank you to all families who sponsored their children to undertake
the special reading activities.  As a school we raised £264.68 towards new
reading materials.

Holiday reminders

During the holiday please could you:

*       Check your child for headlice (and treat if necessary)
*       Ensure your child has a clean, fitting and complete PE kit
*       Have a good clear out of clothes and other material items (bedding
etc)

With this newsletter we are issuing blue recycling bags for items of
clothing and material.  All profits gained go towards PTA funds and
resources for all our children.  Please see the accompanying label for
details and the return date.

Poster Competition

Broad Oak have recently set up at Environmental Committee in an attempt to
make the school more environmentally friendly and more aware of how we can
all do our bit to help the planet.

Our aim is to gain the prestigious Green Flag Environmental Award and we are
about to submit a bid for Bronze status.

We are asking each child to design a poster about different aspects of
caring for the environment. This could be about recycling paper, plastic,
etc, litter, switching off lights when not in use or any other environmental
aspect that involves the children in the school.

The design must be on white A6 paper (A4 folded in quarters) and two winners
will be chosen, one from the infants and one from the juniors. Each winner
will have their design transferred onto stickers to be placed around the
school.

Please make sure your child?s name and class is on the back of the poster.

If anyone is interested in joining the Environmental Committee or would like
more information, please contact Jane Petersons, Nigel Dottridge or Vic
Gorrell.

CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES IS FRIDAY 25TH APRIL.

School Lunch Price Increase

I regret to inform you that due to increased labour, food & fuel costs, it
is necessary for us to increase the price of our school dinners. Some of
these increases are due to the need to meet the requirements of the
nutritional standards which affects overall menu costs.

We will be increasing the cost of school dinners from £1.65 to £1.70 with
effect from 21 April (£8.50 per week).  Lancashire County Commercial
Services, who provide our school dinners, have recommended an increase to
£1.75; however we are keen to continue to provide a high quality service at
a competitive rate and recognise the need for staged price increases.

Nearly New Uniform Sale

Friends of Broad Oak hope to be holding a nearly new uniform sale after
school on the 30th April and the 1st May. We would be very grateful if you
could donate out grown items of uniform that we can sell to raise funds to
help us celebrate our 25th anniversary. All uniform should be clean and in
good condition. Please leave items in plastic bags at the front of school at
the start of school on the 21st and 22nd April. Thank you very much for your
help.

Class & Team Photographs

All orders for photographs should be returned to the school office no later
than 9.00am on Thursday, 3 April.

Broad Oak Holiday Club ? 7th to 11th April

Please ensure all bookings are received with full payment by Mrs Naylor in
the school office by Wednesday 2nd April.  We only have a few places left.
You can contact Mrs Naylor any afternoon in the school office or by email:
elc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The club will run from 9.00am ? 4.00pm each day
and will cost £14.00 per child per day.  A packed lunch will be needed.
Places will be limited so it is important that you book your child?s place
as soon as possible.  Please stipulate which days you require and for how
many children. Booking slips need to be returned with payment.

Year 4 Swimming

Whole class swimming starts on Thursday 1st May.  The children leave at
1.00pm and return from Leyland Leisure Centre at 2.30pm.

Children will need

*         a named towel

*         named trunks or costume

*         a swimming hat.

The school will write on the swimming hat the child?s name with a permanent
pen.  Goggles and nose clips are not generally permitted.  The school
provides education swimming tuition from the school budget to meet the
National Curriculum for PE.  All children are therefore expected to
participate.  Permission is not separately sought as the Form 3 returned in
the autumn term provides the necessary permission.  If you have any concerns
regarding your child?s participation in swimming, please raise these in the
first instance with Mrs Ashton, your child?s teacher.  Transport is provided
by Red Line coach company.

On Thursday 24 April the swimming coach will be coming to school to give our
children a safety briefing and to explain the arrangements in the swimming
pool.  If you have any concerns regarding swimming whilst at the centre it
would be helpful if you could put these in writing to Anne Mills, Swimming
Coach who will then look at these when she comes in.

Booster Swimming Year 4

This is different from whole class swimming.  Some children have been
provided with the opportunity to kick-start swimming with a booster session
every morning.  This is in a smaller group situation and takes place at
Priory Leisure Centre.   It is run during the ?dry week?.  Children will be
invited to participate through a separate letter with a return slip.  This
slip must be returned by Thursday 4th April.

Year 6 Sex & Relationships Programme

This teaching programme will be delivered in the very near future to our
Year 6 pupils.  A separate letter has been issued about the programme.  All
queries should in the first instance be raised with your child?s class
teacher,

Mr Bromley.

Superstars! ? Week ended 28 March

Mrs Yale's Class: Tyler Kiera, Aidan

Mrs Sutton?s Class: Marcus, Kenneth, Nathan, Zac, Abbie

Mrs Wilson's Class: Stephen, Faye, Callum, Luke, Bobbie, Levi, Leon

Mrs Barker?s Class: Kallum, Joseph, Helena, Bethanie, Olivia

Mrs Ashton?s Class: Lauren, Thomas, Molly, Olivia, Evan, Nicholas

Mrs Hughes' Class: Jordan, Monica, Jordan, Elspeth

Mr Bromley?s Class: Lauren

Team Points
Last week?s winners - Ash

School Lunch ? Week 1 Beginning 21 April

Please ensure that dinner money is paid on Friday if you want dinners next
week.  Only £8.50 per week. Money should be given, via your child, to their
teacher in an envelope marked ?Dinner Money? with their name, class and
amount.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Beef Casserole with Country Vegetables & Creamed Potatoes or Pineapple Pizza
with half Baked Jacket Potato, broccoli & baked beans

Savoury Pork Pattie on a Wholemeal Bun with Spicy Jacket Wedges or Pasta
Shells in a Tomato & Mascarpone Sauce, Crusty bread, coleslaw & vegetable
sticks

Fruity Chicken Curry with Rice & Naan Bread or Chip Shop Fish with Thick Cut
Chips, garden peas.

Roast Pork Loin with Roast Potatoes, gravy or Toasted Panini with choice of
filling & Jacket Wedges, fresh seasonal veg. & crunchy Italian salad.

Pasta Bolognaise & Garlic Bread or Lemon Sole Grill with Baby Mid Potatoes &
Tomato Ketchup, crunchy carrot salad, sweetcorn.

Strawberry Rice

Jaffa Jelly with Chocolate Mousse

Cheese & Biscuits with a Bunch of Grapes

Meringue Nests filled with Tropical Fruit

Summer Fruit Crunchy.

Usually available daily (subject to availability) stuffed jacket potatoes,
selection of sandwiches, salad, fresh or frozen yoghurt, fresh fruit, milk
or fruit drinks, homemade cakes and cookies.  Vegetarian/Religious diets
also available subject to demand

Yours sincerely

Mr C M Metcalfe

Headteacher

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
?????

BROAD OAK SERVICES (CARE CLUB) - HOLIDAY CLUB BOOKING SLIP

Tick days required Thank you                                       FULL
PAYMENT MUST BE MADE WHEN BOOKING

Commencing

7th to 11th  April 08

Childs Name/Class

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Visit am - limited bookings for this session

Friday

Permission for my child?s face to be painted if they attend for this
activity:   Yes /No

I am aware of the terms & conditions and other information regarding Care
Club on the school website.

Legal Parent / Carer Signature: ____________________________ Date:

This e-mail is confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail
or take any action in reliance on its content.