Broad Oak PS & ELC Mailing Newsletter No 22.doc

  • From: Lynne Atkinson <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: broadoak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:00:18 +0000

Newsletter No: 22

Date: 26 February 2008

Special Reading Activity Week ? Next Week - 3rd to 7th March

We are holding a Special Week to highlight the importance of reading as part
of our school ?Readon? Initiative.  In classrooms we are having an even
greater emphasis on reading and each of our assemblies during the week will
also have the same focus.  On Monday?s assembly the school is being
presented with our prize of £20 worth of free books every month for a year
as an overall competition winner with Browse for Books.

On Friday 7th children are encouraged to make a hat or mask and wear it to
school.  There will be a competition of the best ?home-made? mask for each
age range (YR ? Y2, Y3 & 4, Y5 & 6).

To gear us up for our Reading Week we are having a

Children?s Book Fair coming to school this Wednesday 27th February until
Tuesday 4 March after school.

At the assembly on Wednesday this week (27 February) we will also be
launching our Sponsored Reading Activities.  You will be asked to find as
many sponsors as possible for your child to complete a set number of reading
activities.  There are a different number of activities depending upon the
age of your child.  These activities can either be done by your child on
their own or with your support.  How many can they do?

All funds raised will go directly to provide additional reading resources
for our school library.

Please find attached your child?s sponsor form.  Your support is much
appreciated.

Healthy Choices Special Days ? 10 ? 12 March

This year we are holding three special days with a theme of ?Healthy
Choices?.

During these days classes will be doing a range of activities that will
promote the making of healthy choices in diet, drugs and exercise.

As part of this we have invited Life Education to come and provide an
excellent opportunity to enhance our Drug Education programme.  They bring
experienced staff to work with our children and encourage them to make good
choices within drug education.  Most of their work will be on-board their
special bus!  A member of staff will always be present with the children.
This experience is one of the best in the country and therefore is not
cheap.  The school budget is going to pay for one third of the costs, the
PTA have agreed to pay for one third and parents are asked to contribute
one-third to the cost.  Please ensure you have made your contribution of £1
and return the slip attached as soon as possible.

We are making our drug education accessible for parents too.  From research
we know that drug education is far more effective when parents take an
active role.  There are two sessions available for you to gain more
information.  You may come to either or both of the sessions.

Parents Session 1: The first will be on Monday 10 March from 8.55am to
9.55am.  This will be looking at some of the resources Life Education will
use in the children?s curriculum sessions.

Parents Session 2 ?Talking about Drugs?: The second session available is on
Tuesday 11th March from 6.30 to 7.15pm.  This second session is for adults
only (no children whatsoever) and will look at developing your knowledge as
well as factors that affect risky behaviour by young people, including drug
misuse.   To come to this session you need to complete the attached slip and
return it to the school office by Friday 7th March.

With this newsletter you will have received a leaflet titled ?Life Education
Centres in Lancashire and South Cumbria.?  Please take time to read it as it
provides a helpful overview about the programme for your child.  If you have
any queries please direct these initially to your child?s class teacher or
the Life Education Centre staff.

Multi-faith Assembly ? Thank you

A big thank you to the parents who came to the Friday assembly before
half-term to celebrate the multi-faith work we have been doing in school.

Regular Choir Members - Penwortham Music Festival

We are delighted that our choir will once again perform to other schools and
parents at St Leonard?s Church, Penwortham on Thursday 6th March.  As one of
few schools performing, I am particularly proud that we have confident,
talented and committed children who will be a credit to our school.

Mrs Metcalfe, our choir leader, will be at St Leonard?s Church from 6.30pm
and we encourage all children to arrive in good time for a 7.00pm
performance (i.e. NO LATER than 6.45pm).  Parents please allow plenty of
time for car parking!

Our school has provided our choristers with special ?black and gold star?
T-shirts for the performance (issued by Mrs Metcalfe on lunchtime of the
performance day) but children will need to arrive wearing black trousers and
black shoes.

Tickets are issued by the organisers.  Please indicate on the form at the
end of this newsletter how many seats you require and the school will book
these on your behalf.  Adult tickets are £3.00.  Please note that Children
are FREE but must apply for an admission ticket.  All Children must be
accompanied by an Adult.

Please return the permission slip along with all seat reservations and
ticket money (cash only) by this Friday.

Reminder: Disco ? Friends of Broad Oak Registered Charity No 1082746 ?
Friday 29th February 2008

Please complete the application form and ensure that a contact telephone
number is given.  Parent helpers are always welcome.        Infants: 6.30 ?
7.45 P.M.      Juniors: 7.45 ? 9.00 P.M.       Tickets £2.00

Please note that tickets must be purchased by Wednesday 27th February.

We must insist that all children are collected by a responsible adult at the
end of the disco and that a contact telephone number is available for each
child.

Dinner Money - Correction

Parents wishing to pay for the half-term to the April holiday should send in
£46.20 (28 dinners @ £1.65) and not £35 as previously advised; please make
cheques payable to ?Lancashire County Council?.

Team Points
Last week?s winners - Ash

School Lunch ? Week 1 Beginning 3 March
Please ensure that dinner money is paid on Friday if you want dinners next
week.  Only £8.25 per week. Money should be given, via your child, to their
teacher in an envelope marked ?Dinner Money? with their name, class and
amount.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Spaghetti Bolognaise with herby garlic bread or Tuna & Sweet corn pizza,
half jacket potato, broccoli, salad.

Welsh pork meatballs, onion gravy or Pasta shells in tomato & mascarpone
sauce with crusty bread, sweet potato mash, carrots, swede, peas.

Fruity chicken curry with rice and naan or Tomato & lentil soup & toasted
pannini, jacket wedges, baby corn cobs, green salad.

Roast beef & Yorkshire pudding or Cheese & potato flan, roasted baby
potatoes, cauliflower, winter greens.

FUN FEAST

Sausage in finger roll with chips or jacket potato & salad tray

Mixed fruit cookies

Sticky toffee pudding with vanilla sauce.

Lemon & Sultana Semolina pudding.

Chocolate crispy nests with mandarin orange fool.

Ice Lolly or fruit

Usually available daily (subject to availability) stuffed jacket potatoes,
selection of sandwiches, salad, fresh or frozen yoghurt, fresh fruit, milk
or fruit drinks, homemade cakes and cookies.  Vegetarian/Religious diets
also available subject to demand

Yours sincerely

Mr C M Metcalfe

Headteacher

RETURN TO SCHOOL OFFICE BY FRIDAY 29 FEBRUARY

PENWOTHAM MUSIC FESTIVAL ? REGULAR CHOIR MEMBERS ONLY

Dear Mrs Metcalfe

I confirm that my child has regularly attended choir and I would like her to
participate in the Penwortham Music Festival on Thursday 6th March at 7.00pm
(arriving between 6.30 ? 6.45pm).

I would like _____ (number) of tickets for adults for the Thursday evening
(enclosing £3.00 per ticket) and an

additional ______ (number) of tickets for children not performing.   Thank
you.

Parent of: ____________________________(Child?s Name)   Class:
_________Signed:_________________

-----------RETURN TO SCHOOL OFFICE BY FRIDAY 7TH MARCH

PARENTS SESSION 2: TALKING ABOUT DRUGS

Dear Mr Metcalfe

I would like to come to the parents? session on Tuesday 11 March at 6.30 ?
7.15pm.  I understand that I cannot bring any children to this session.
Thank you.

Parent(s) name: ______________________________

Parent(s) name: ______________________________

Parent of: ____________________________(Child?s Name)   Class:
_________Signed:_________________

-----------RETURN TO SCHOOL OFFICE WITH CONTRIBUTION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Reminder: LIFE EDUCATION ? DRUG EDUCATION

Dear Mr Metcalfe

I would like my child to visit the special Life Education bus and undertake
exciting activities to help them make choices about drugs.  I enclose £1
towards the costs.

Thank you.

Child?s Name: ________________________  Class: ___________
Signed:__________________________

---------------

PLEASE RETURN TO SCHOOL OFFICE WITH PAYMENT BY WEDNESDAY 27TH FEBRUARY

FRIENDS OF BROAD OAK (PTA) DISCO - FRIDAY 29th FEBRUARY 2008

No. of Infant tickets required     _____ @ £2.00 each      No. of Junior
tickets required     _____ @ £2.00 each

TOTAL ENCLOSED £_________

I CONFIRM THAT MY CHILD/CHILDREN WILL BE COLLECTED AT THE END OF THE DISCO
BY A RESPONSIBLE ADULT.

I CONFIRM THAT I CAN HELP AT THE INFANT DISCO / JUNIOR DISCO / BOTH

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBER______________________

This e-mail is confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail
or take any action in reliance on its content.