[Bristol-Birds] Re: winter watch

  • From: "Virginia Goolsby" <vgoolsby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <benbrdn@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <blhale@xxxxxxx>, "'Bristol Bird Network'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:12:57 -0500

West Morristown
Hamblen County
Monday February 1

I, too, am having a shortage of Juncos. Usually I have 5 or 6 (admittedly
not many) at my feeders; however, I saw only 1 during the weekend snows.
They have been missing for all of the fall - 2 is the most I've seen at any
time this year.

Pine Siskins have been very few and far between, but I have my regular 30
-45 Amer. Goldfinches back this year. I'm also seeing several White-throated
Sparrows, but I normally do not have White-crowned Sparrows. I've finally
got my lone Northern Mockingbird coming regularly; I've got him/her hooked
on peanut butter/lard "suet" that I smear on a fruit holder that also
includes an apple. I also have 2 White-breasted Nuthatches who come
regularly, but I have not seen any Red-breasted ones which I had regularly 2
years ago.

Happy birding.

Ginger Goolsby

  _____

From: blhale@xxxxxxx
To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Bristol-Birds] winter watch
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:55:50 -0500

Hey out there in Bird Land.

It's a beautiful day in Bluff City and the birds are plentiful.
Had a beautiful Fox Sparrow and a Chipping Sparrow in addition to the usual.
However the absence of Juncos is unusual.  We have had very few this season
and none of late.
For what it's worth. Bert Hale, BC Sullivan Cy

  _____

Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up
<http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390709/direct/01/> now.