[Bristol-Birds] sparrow run at Christian Bend

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:08:53 +0000

1609 Christian Bend Rd
Hawkins Co, TN

Birding under dark clouds at 4 pm Tuesday, I came upon a diverse flock of finch
scattered along about 200 feet of the road roughly in the vicinity of 1609
Christian Bend Rd, not far from the Holston River.  They were actively picking
what I supposed was grit or salt-type chemical(?) at the border of the pavement
and snow.

Vesper Sparrow 2
Chipping Sparrow 23
Savannah Sparrow 11
Song Sparrow 7
White-crowned Sparrow 1
Pine Siskin 6

I couldn't help but think what a windfall the little flock would have been for
a Christmas Bird Count field party :)

A nice, orange, field of  Broom Sedge caught my eye and probably the fancy of
the Savannahs !

I owe Rick Phillips and Tom Laughlin for decades ago having trained my mind to
think Savannahs in winter when I see that vegetation in the habitat.

Let's go birding . . .