[Bristol-Birds] Wood Duck, Great Horned Owl (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 20:41:35 -0500 (EST)

March 2, 2010

I found a pair of Wood Ducks this evening at the pond along Glenfield Trail,
located just off Old Tusculum Road in Greeneville. A short distance away, at
the intersection of Old Tusculum Road and Highway 107, I also found a Great
Horned Owl perched on an electric wire.

Today's Wood Ducks just missed being winter (December-February) birds rather
than spring (March-May) birds. Looking back at my Greene County records, I
noticed that I found no Woodies this past winter. This is unusual, as I nearly
always manage to locate at least one sometime in early to mid-December or in
late February. Apparently, the atypically cold winter drove them out of the
area this past season.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN