[Bristol-Birds] Wild Turkey hens engage in bloody fight at Johnson City

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 21:24:44 -0500

A few weeks ago,  John and Peggy Humphreys, who live in

north Johnson City, TN, told me about an interesting observation

which seems worth passing along.

They have a flock of  Wild Turkey which come regularly

to their 30-acres of land which is fairly well surrounded by

woods.  The Humphreys have their home on the property.

Peggy told me she watched what she thought was two hens

fighting one day in early winter.  One grabbed the other by

the lower portion of the throat, under the neck, and ripped

its neck wide open. The injured bird started bleeding profusely.

Since I don't remember her telling me if the injured bird

died while she watched,  I suspected it soon went back into

the woods.