[Bristol-Birds] Warriors Path State Park American Golden Plover / Dunlin

  • From: "Rack Cross" <frogfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 04:11:18 -0500

18 NOV 02
Warriors Path State Park
Marina Area
Sullivan County, TN

Strange habitat is present at Warriors Path State Park due to repairs in
progress to Ft. Patrick Henry Dam. Acre after acre of mudflat is exposed as a
result of this severe drainage. Today around noon my attention was drawn to a
Killdeer sized bird on this newly exposed mud that upon close examination I
determined to be an American Golden Plover. The bird gave several Q - eeek
calls and after about 15 minutes took off for a couple of laps around the
marina area of the park before leaving my sight over the tree line. Unlike the
Black-bellied Plover of similar looks this bird did not have the black
"armpits" diagnostic of it's Black-bellied cousin. I learned while researching
after this sighting that the Black-bellied Plover also has four toes, whereas,
the American Golden Plover has only three toes. I did count this birds toes
during my observation.

Nearby in the marina's largest "puddle" was a sleeping shorebird in the shallow
water. The bird never woke to expose it's beak but I strongly suspect it was
Dunlin.

This area my be worth keeping an eye on for next little while!

'Til we bird again

Rack Cross
Blountville, TN

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958