[Bristol-Birds] Singing White-crowned Sparrow inside Kingsport hardware store

  • From: Andy Jones <ajones@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 09:43:58 -0400

Hi all:

On my way out of town, headed for Cleveland, OH, I stopped off at the Kingsport Lowes on Stone Drive to pick up some Cherokee Purple tomato plants. Imagine my surprise when I heard a singing White-crowned Sparrow!

The bird was not struggling to escape the building, and in fact when it flew up to the windows it seemed to be there to feed as well as to use the ledge as a singing perch. I lost track of the bird for a few minutes and I think that it was actually outside for a while. I saw the bird foraging in potted plants inside the building.

I don't have a firm explanation for this. It could be a late migrant that will simply move on soon. It could also be a bird that was moved here by accident with a plant shipment. The song that it was singing was different from what I typically hear in eastern birds. I'm not so sure about the plumage and bill color as compared with typical eastern birds.

I recorded the bird's song with my iPhone, and have posted the audio here:

http://soundcloud.com/ornitholoco/wcsp

Photos of the bird:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ornitholoco/7242189480/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ornitholoco/7242192300/in/photostream/

Any comments on the subspecific identification of this bird would be appreciated!

It was great seeing everyone at the joint TOS / VSO meeting! What a great meeting, and some seriously fun field trips. Congratulations to all of the BBC organizers on a job well done.

Andy
--
Andy Jones, Ph.D.
Director of Science

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=706&PHPSESSID=b2eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee. --------------------------------------------------