[Bristol-Birds] Roan Mtn. butterfly count rescheduled

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, carolinaleps@xxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, valeps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:11:54 EDT

     The butterfly count at Roan Mtn. Sat. July 17 was rained out after only
two hours afield.  We will try again on Saturday, July 24, again meeting at 10
am at the Visitors' Center at Roan Mtn. State Park.
     The two hours of butterflying we got in was time well spent, so I will
list the results here.  The location was Hampton Creek Cove State Natural Area.
 Participants were:  Bob Baldwin, Nancy Baldwin, Gilbert Derouen, Dianne
Draper, John Hay, Don Holt, Tom McNeil, Allan Trently.

Pipevine Swallowtail - 56
Black Swallowtail - 1
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - 9
Cabbage White - 9
Clouded Sulphur - 6
Orange Sulphur - 10
Gray Hairstreak - 2
Eastern Tailed-Blue - 5
Azure sp. - 4
Variegated Fritillary - 1
Great Spangled Fritillary - 1
Speyeria sp. - 4
Meadow Fritillary - 3
Pearl Crescent - 16
Eastern Comma - 3
Monarch - 3
Silver-spotted Skipper - 60
Least Skipper - 3
Sachem - 9

Caterpillars - at Twin Springs picnic area in Cherokee National Forest, we
searched the Black Cohosh and found 10 dark purple Appalachian Azure
caterpillars and 5 white Summer Azure caterpillars.  A search of Dutchman's
Pipe along
the path failed to turn up any Pipevine Swallowtail caterpillars, quite
possibly
due to the rain.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN