[Bristol-Birds] Amusing Misidentification in Photo Cutline

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: tsmcneil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:35:27 EDT

In the Sunday edition (July 18) of the Elizabethton Star newspaper, there is
a picture of a Great Blue Heron and a Great Egret at Great Lakes Pond in
Carter County.
It's a very nice photo, but the cutline does nothing to educate the
newspaper's readers.

The cutline reads:
A Blue Herring and a White Crane strut their stuff as if prancing down the
catwalk.

I'll be sending an email to the editor in the hope that a correction can be
run. The newspaper has a history of taking wonderful photos of local birds and
hopelessly misidentifying them. A Common Grackle was once ID'ed as a Crow and
a Wood Duck as a Blue-winged Teal. And don't get me started on all the
pictures the paper has published of Canada-"ian" geese.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN