[Bristol-Birds] News from the Lab of Ornithology

  • From: "Shane" <tshane@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 21:43:18 -0500

Birders:  News from the Lab of Ornithology.

Shane Adams
East of Hamblen County
Morristown, TN. 37813

Greetings Lab members and friends:

We're writing to share the latest updates on the Ivory-billed Woodpecker search
and next week's big event--the Great Backyard Bird Count.

New Video Analysis Web Site

In conjunction with the second Ivory-billed Woodpecker Recovery Team meeting in
Brinkley Arkansas, February 6-8, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology is making
available online a detailed analysis of four seconds of an Ivory-billed
Woodpecker in flight in the Big Woods of Arkansas, filmed in April 2004. This
site has been in development for several months. Click here to check it out.

This may be some of the most intensely-studied video ever taken. The new web
pages contain a point-by-point analysis of the now-famous video clip by David
Luneau of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. The video analysis expands
on the evidence presented in the peer-reviewed article for Science magazine
published in April 2005, and presents numerous video clips that allow the
public to examine the video data and the authors' original conclusions for
themselves.

Cornell Lab of Ornithology Director Dr. John Fitzpatrick says, "Even after the
original announcement of the rediscovery, we kept going over our evidence and
finding new ways to put it to the test--not only to answer questions others
might have, but to continue to test the veracity of our own conclusions." After
comparing the Luneau video with more than 60 videos of Pileated Woodpeckers now
in their possession, Cornell scientists remain convinced that the Luneau video
is unique and distinct in a number of characteristics. The bird is fully
consistent with the plumage pattern and flight behavior of Ivory-billed
Woodpecker, thus providing visual confirmation of a number of well-described
sightings of that species in the area during 2004 and 2005.

Let us know what you think about these new pages, especially after you look at
the many video clips provided and move through them frame-by-frame.

You'll also want to read the other new material recently posted on the
ivory-bill pages, including descriptions of the search from crew leaders and
volunteers. '"All About Birds" web site editor Sam Crowe has detailed accounts
of his recent visit to Arkansas. The stories are listed under "Updates from the
Field" on the Ivory-billed Woodpecker home page. More new material is in the
pipeline and will posted in the coming weeks.

Bird Count Countdown!

The 9th annual Great Backyard Bird Count is just around the corner! The event
takes place February 17-20 and we're hoping all of you will join in. Everyone
can participate, no matter their age or skill level. You can count birds in
your backyard, in a park, or public lands. This year's theme is to "Count birds
with a buddy!" The idea is to share your love of birding with someone who is
new to the pastime.

The Great Backyard Bird Count provides valuable data on a continentwide scale
about where the birds are and in what numbers. We've revamped the GBBC web site
and we invite you to check it out at www.birdsource.org/gbbc. Another new thing
this year is our contest--we'll award certificates to the states, provinces,
and localities sending in the most checklists in the United States and in
Canada. We'll also have a photo contest. Download the PDF of our poster and
print it to help spread the word that the Great Backyard Bird Count fast
approaching!

As always, thank you for you continued support and enthusiasm,

Your friends at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology