[Bristol-Birds] Horned Grebes and Bonaparte's Gulls

  • From: "Ed Talbott" <etalbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birders" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:12:26 -0500

Bristol Birders,

I had a meeting in Marion today so I decided to get up
before dawn and drive out to Musick's Campground this
morning.  At first all I spotted were a couple of Great Blue
Herons.  Later, as the fog started to rise, I noted a couple
of Horned Grebes and one Pied-billed Grebe on the lake.  A
DC Cormorant flew overhead and landed about 100 yards
offshore and four Bonaparte's Gulls flew in to harrass the
cormorant when he surfaced - looking for a free meal.  A
Common Loon was also spotted.  I hiked north onto the point
and south to the cove hoping to jump the Snow Bunting seen
earlier but to no avail.

On the drive back to the interstate I spotted Ring-necked
Duck and Mallards on one of the farm ponds.

I stopped by the Salt Ponds at Saltville on my home.  There
were mostly Mallards and Ducks of mixed heritage but a small
group of Gadwalls stayed on the far side of the pond.

Ed Talbott
Buchanan County Bird Club
http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/birdclub.htm

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958