[Bristol-Birds] Fw: Big Yellow Mountain Preserve, Avery Co., NC Trip Report

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 23:07:03 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "J. M. Lynch"
To: "Carolina Birds"
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:58 PM
Subject: Big Yellow Mountain Preserve, Avery Co., NC Trip Report

Carolinabirders,

I spent the afternoon of June 18 and this morning, June 19 visiting Big Yellow Mountain, owned by The Nature Conservancy. Big Yellow is one of the best examples of a natural bald grassland in the southern Blue Ridge Mts and is located in the Roan Mountain Massif near the small community of Minneapolis in Avery County. Elevation is approx. 5000 feet.

Interesting birds included at least 3 pairs of VESPER SPARROW including a nest with 4 eggs that I stumbled upon while walking across the bald. The nest was well hidden and located on the ground in a dense grass hummock. I flushed the incubating female off the nest literally under my feet.

Also, at least two singing territorial ALDER FLYCATCHERS along the scrubby edge of the bald and a singing male GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER also in the shrubby ecotone near the bald.

Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm
Watauga County, NC