[Bristol-Birds] Compton Mt Warbler Day list - info - photos

  • From: Roger Mayhorn <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 15:07:05 -0700 (PDT)

Area Birders,
  Twenty-three birders watched the fall migration of warblers at our place here
on Compton Mt yesterday. The very first species to be logged for the day was a
Wood Thrush that called just after dawn - the first one I had heard since July.
The last bird of the day made an appearance in the evening after most of the
birders had left. A Sharp-shinned Hawk, species number 52 for the day, made a
pass near the feeders, and nearby birders heard only the whoosh of wings as it
passed just behind them. It was probably the same hawk that came back an hour
or so later to make another pass through the yard, then perch in the cherry
tree just above the feeders.

   Club members, Dave and Diana Worley were the first to arrive about 7:00 a.m.
in order to get to see the morning rush of birds. They were soon joined by
several others, including Don and Dawn Carrier from Bristol in their small
French Car, a Citroen, which was the object of conversation during the day.
Some birders, who had not watched the warblers with us before were Jerry and
Jane Thornhill of Lebanon, Susan Mayhew, a dean at the recently formed School
of Pharmacology in Grundy, and bird photographer, Don Carrier and his charming
wife, Dawn.

  The group didn't have long to wait before warblers began dropping into the
yard. Species included Am. Redstart, Bay-breasted, Black-and-whites,
Blackburnians ( a brightly colored male caused ooh's and aah's as he gave the
opportunity for great close-up looks), Black-throated Greens, a Cape May,
Chestnut-sided Warblers, Hoodeds ( a striking male really stood out against the
green foliage ), Magnolia's, an Ovenbird, a couple of Palm Warblers, Pine
Warblers, 19 Tennessee Warblers, a male Black-throated Blue, Worm Eating
Warblers and Yellow-throated Warblers. Many other warblers could be seen flying
over or flitting about in trees in the neighbor's pasture but were too far away
to identify.

  Other species of interest were a male Baltimore Oriole, a couple of Brown
Thrashers, a Gray Catbird, a large flock of Cedar Waxwings, a Common Raven, 3
Eastern Kingbirds, one Empidonax Flycatcher, a Northern Flicker, a Pileated
Woodpecker, many Scarlet Tanagers in fall plumage and many Red-eyed Vireos,
several Ruby-throated Hummers, the first Swainson's Thrush of the migration,
one Wild Turkey (heard late in the day) and 2 Yellow-throated Vireos. Below is
the complete list.

  After birding the yard and hiking our small birding trail the birders took a
rest and had a tasty lunch of hotdogs, chicken nuggets, baked beans and spinach
dip, courtesy of my wife, Lynda. Several people brought other good dishes to
add to the fare. The fresh cantaloupe and watermelon brought by David Raines
from his garden was just the extra touch needed. The highlight of the meal, a
special dessert prepared by Dawn Carrier was a beautiuful carrot cake decorated
with a warbler done in frosting. Not only was the cake pleasing to the eye, but
it was also pleasing to the palate. Several birders went back for seconds. By
the end of the day every last crumb had been eaten.

  The weather was excellent, the birds were numerous, the food was good and the
conversation was interesting, which made for a very enjoyable day. Lynda and I
hope that everyone went away with the feeling that they wanted to come back
sometime to our little spot on the mountain.

  Photos can be seen at http://judy.pbase.com/mayhorn/warblerday2006
                                    http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/warbler1

  Roger Mayhorn
  Compton Mt