[bristol-birds] Broadwing won't budge

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:03:54 -0400

Bristol Area Birders,
Yesterday morning early I had to make a short drive around our mountain. On
the way back I was in a bit of a hurry because I wanted to get back home
before sunrise. That's when the migration action really starts in my yard.
Ahead on the highway I saw what I thought was a crow sitting in the middle
of the roadway. As I drew nearer it didn't fly as I expected it would. It
was then I realized it was a Broadwing sitting there looking very
unconcerned. By the time I stopped I was within 10 or 12 feet of the bird.
Luckily there were no other vehicles on the road. On the pavement beside the
bird was a large dark-winged insect. It could have been a Damselfly or
possibly a large Digger Wasp. After about 20 or 30 seconds the hawk reached
out and captured the insect in its talons. It sat there for another 10-15
seconds then flew off to the left into the woods, displaying the striking
tail bands as it went.
As I drove on home I replayed in my mind the pleasant little nature clip I
had just witnessed.  I also wished I had had my video camera with me.

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958