[Bristol-Birds] Bathing Sharp-shinned

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 00:14:09 -0400

Area Birders,
Many small birds are attracted to my small pond stream, but yesterday I was
surprised to find that a male Sharp-shinned liked it as well. It first flew to
a branch over the stream and sat for awhile. Then it flew down to the edge and
waded into one of  the small pools. It took a drink and fluffed its feathers,
as if it were going to bathe like the smaller birds. It waded around a bit, got
its tail feathers wet, then waded out. It gave a good shake and then flew away.

To see some photos of the event click here

http://users.mikrotec.com/mayhorn/BIMG/Shrp-Shn/Shrp-ShnnP1.htm

Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn