[BNU] Re: Nemith, reactions please

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mlewicki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mlewicki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 09:18:57 -0500

Representing math on a computer is difficult for anyone, sighted or not. That's
why so much math online is inaccessible; many people turn to images or a
special markup language (Latex) to do it. There is currently no standard way to
display math so that spacial characters, such as superscripts or fractions, are
shown correctly, so the Braillenote has no way of doing this either. The best
it can do is use words to show what it means, because no commputer has a native
way to show, say, a fraction. So, while Nemeth translation isn't great, there
is really not much Humanware can do about it. They could offer a translator
into the afore mentioned markup language, but even then, not everyone knows how
to read it or has a translator to show Latex files in plain math code.

Sent from my iPhone