[BNU] Re: Grade 3 Braille and NFB Newsline Question

  • From: Terri Pannett <pann1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dave Sheridan <dsheridan65@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:51:37 -0800

The braille shorthand book I had wasn't complete. It showed symbols and practice exercises, but not how to use them.

How fast was your brother able to write?

Grade 3 braille is more logical and you can still read your documents even when they grow cold.

But since I use a notetaker now, I don't have any need for grade 3 braille. I can write fast enough without it.

Terri Amateur radio call sign KF6CA

On 2/21/2014 2:22 PM, Dave Sheridan wrote:
Thanks for correcting and enlightening me at the same time, Terry. I was given
a book for shorthand braille about 25 to 30 years ago now and it was referred
to as grade 3 at the time. It looked quite complicated so I didn't delve too
far into the book. My eldest brother did learn shorthand braille when he
trained as a shorthand typist and explained a little to me about it where some
signs which were the same had different meanings according to the context of
the sentence which again sounded quite demanding to me which confirmed my
decision not to try to learn it was a good one. Now that I have learned grade 3
is different I shall follow the link Alex kindly provided us with as hopefully
this will be more accessible than the shorthand.

All the best from Dave

Sent from my iPhone

On 20 Feb 2014, at 19:28, Terri Pannett <pann1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No, grade 3 braille is not the same as braille shorthand.  Braille shorthand is
a completely different system, designed for verbatim notetaking. I did not like
it, so I learned grade 3 braille, which is designed for speed writing and the
code makes sense.

But I don't use grade 3 anymore because I can write fast enough without it and
because I don't need to save space.  I don't emboss anything anymore.

Terri Amateur radio call sign KF6CA

On 2/21/2014 1:17 AM, Dave Sheridan wrote:
Grade 3 is shorthand braille as used in the past by those training for
shorthand and typing courses. Things have moved on considerably since and those
likely to explore grade 3 would be doing it for precisely the same reasons as
expressed here. As with any personal shorthand forms one might choose to use it
must be remembered that these are for personal use and would not be recognised
by most other braille users or notetakers like the bn.

All the best from Dave

Sent from my iPhone

On 21 Feb 2014, at 05:01, anthony <aluis.rivera25@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hello alex and all.  what is this grade 3? can someone explain, never heard of
it.