[brailleblaster] Re: xsl and xslt

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:49:54 -0500

This sounds great. I would like to add that we want to display and edit
NIMAS natively, but we do not want to hardcode NIMAS structure, element
names, attribute names, etc. I still think that some kind of virtual
machine which integrates displaying and editing is the way to go.

On dynamic translation, I think this should be something the user can
activate if she wants it. It should show the translation of the text in
the current text node in a box. the trranslateString method can be
called at each keystroke. It will do line breaks as appropriate. I think
that dynamic translation might be a bit dangerous, because a user may
not realize that she has to do a complete translation before embossing
or saving. The Emboss Now! menu item is supposed to do a translation if
there is none. Dynamic translation should turn off the translated flag.

I am thinking of two kinds of editing. First is editing of the original
file. This will be done in the Daisy view. Second is editing of the
Braille. This will become active after a translation with formatFor utd.
It should be used only by transcribers or other very knowledgeable
persons. Of course it is done in the Braille view. If a person is
reading the Braille trranslation and notices things like spelling erors
these should be corrected in the original document. This will require a
way to switch back to the display of the original document in the DAISY
view. We should caution people not to try to fix things like spelling
errors by editing the Braille. I know from my experience running a
Braille transcribing operation that this is a very bad idea.

Back-translation is too unreliable to be depended upon, although the
tables for some languages work well in back translation. This includes
U.S. English, German, Hungarian and French.

Just trying to cover all bases.

John